Your browser does not support JavaScript!
Off-Campus Housing Services
Logo: Western University Canada
Mediation Service

Welcome to Western's Housing Mediation Service! Clear communication is essential to a harmonious interaction...

Mediation Service

The Mediation Service is a free confidential resource which seeks to assist in the speedy resolution of problems which may arise between students and landlords, students and London residents and/or students and students in the areas of housing and lifestyles.

The service offers the concerned parties a forum to represent and discuss their problems before a neutral third party. It facilitates the resolution process by providing information to the parties and by suggesting approaches to the handling of problems.

The use of the service is voluntary and in no way waives the participants' legal rights or remedies.

The service can be used effectively in such areas as:

  • Unsatisfactory conditions in apartments or houses
  • Property appearance
  • Parking complaints
  • Noise complaints
  • Landlord/tenant issues
  • Roommate concerns
  • Other lifestyle issues (but need not be limited to the above)

The service can not be used, however:

  • To obtain legal advice
  • As an advocate for one party against another
  • As an alternative to the police in emergency situations

The resolution of disputes by the Mediation Service may be either informal or formal.

Informal mediation will be most frequently practiced with an emphasis on establishing better communication between the parties involved in order to prevent future problems of the same type. Informal mediation would also involve an investigation of the complaint, discussions with the concerned parties, suggestions for compromise or ways of handling the immediate problem, advice on how to avoid a recurrence of the problem, referrals to other agencies or formal mediation, if appropriate.

Formal mediation consists of a meeting with all concerned parties. At that time, views are presented and, with the assistance of the Mediation Officer, a written agreement reached that both sides agree to honor.

The Mediation Service has office facilities on the campus of Western University and Fanshawe College.

Western University Fanshawe College
Rm 3C1 Ontario Hall
Western University
London, Ontario
N6G 0N2
Room F-2010
Fanshawe College
1001 Fanshawe College Blvd
London, Ontario
N5Y 5R6
Tel: (519) 661-3787
Fax: (519) 661-3687
Tel: (519) 452-4282
Fax: (519) 453-2826
Open 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Monday - Friday

*The Mediation Service is funded by Western University, The University Students' Council, the City of London, Fanshawe College and the Fanshawe College Student Union.

Western & Neighbourhood Relations
Things you should know about Western & Neighbourhood Relations.
PDF Version PDF file
View Listings
View Listings
News & Events
Connect with Off-Campus Housing